Skip to main content

Commencement 2023: Leopoldo Torres Reyes

Leopoldo Torres Reyes, Associate of Science in Political Science, 2023
Leopoldo Torres Reyes, Associate of Science in Political Science, 2023



Leopoldo Torres Reyes patiently waited in line to enter the Maverick Center for the 2023 commencement ceremony with a smile as bright as the sun. By the look of Leopoldo's smile, one would never guess that he considered not attending the commencement ceremony.

As a first-generation, non-traditional college student, Leopoldo started his academic journey amid the pandemic. "My roommates and I were watching tv, and I blurted out to them, what if I go back to college," says Leopoldo. A thought that went from a random idea to a reality.

Although starting college during a pandemic may seem frightening, Leopoldo had a different outlook. "During the day, I was working my corporate job, and after work, I was going to college," says Leopoldo, whose mentality helped him succeed academically. Due to the global pandemic, learning had shifted into a virtual world, which meant no formal college events for students to socialize. For Leopoldo, that meant that he would strictly concentrate on his schooling. "I was a laser focus on my educational path, and it became my coping mechanism during the uncertain times," says Leopoldo, "but in retrospect, I wish once it was available, I would have taken some of the opportunities to attend social events."

As he waited in line in his gown and regalia, including the Mexican flag, to honor his mother- his biggest motivator- he hoped to help inspire his younger siblings to believe in themselves. As for why he decided to walk: "All my mother ever asked from my siblings and I was to get an education, and today I am doing this for her. Her dream was to go to college, which was impossible, so I am not walking for myself; I am walking for my mother, whose sacrifices and support have led me here today."

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SLCC Automotive Repairs

Click to enlarge. Attention: SLCC Students, staff and faculty! Many SLCC automotive programs need vehicles to work on in these areas: 30 point inspections Oil changes Tire rotation Engine repair Brake systems repair Automatic and transmission repairs Air conditioning repair Electrical troubleshooting & repair Suspension & steering system repair Auto-body repair and painting (on a very limited basis) Please be advised that any repairs are done at the discretion of the instructors due to the subject areas they are teaching.  Because we are using your vehicles for training purposes, we offer members of the College discounts on parts and labor. Parts are at our cost plus 15% and the service fee is $20 per hour based on industry time standards (if the industry assigns an hour for a repair, that's all you're charged for, regardless of how much time it takes the student). We can also offer these services to non-college personnel on a limited basis with...

Bruin Bash 2014

Free! Friday, May 2 5:00 p.m. Salt Lake Community College Student Center (4600 South Redwood Road) Featuring: Children’s Carnival Circus Act Dance Fireworks Caricature Artist Popcorn Photo Booth Henna Tattoos Comedian Casino Games Oxygen Bar Airbrush Tattoos Mocktails Face Painter Magician Cotton Candy Balloon Artists Brought to you by SLCC Student Association www.slcc.edu/sll Individuals who require accommodations for this event should contact Joan Christiansen a, STC 124 or (801) 957-4439

Employee Recognition Celebration 2014

Congratulations to all of our employees recognized at the Employee Recognition Event on Wednesday, April 30. Retirees Vince Badger Lowell Baggaley Lynda Baumgart Debra Bertoch Grace Birch Norma Carr Susan Curtis Mary Jayne Davis Rodney Derrick Steffeny Fazzio Richard Hemingway Marianna Hopkins Marilyn Little Jacquelyn Mathews Steve Million Valorie Mills Doug Richards Carol Sandoval Debbie Smith Donna Thompson D. Cyril Watt Teaching Excellence Awards Bill Tovar School of Applied Technology Professional Truck Driving Melissa Tillack School of Science, Math & Engineering Biology Department Emily Dibble School of Humanities & Social Sciences Humanities Department Outstanding Staff Nominees  (Winners in Bold) Theresa Adair Chase Adams Jonathan Anderson Burt Barnard Shelly Beverley Lenora Billie Judith Black Ben Booth Shannon Brereton Gay Bryant Marianne Buie Gus Calder Ch...