Skip to main content

Meet Our Students: Jennifer Ivette Alegría Ibanez

Jennifer Ivette Alegría Ibanez.

Jennifer Ivette Alegría Ibanez

Age:
39

From:
Graneros, Sexta Region, Chile

Major:
Social Work. I feel a great calling to serve, motivate and empower others as well in our community. At this moment I am currently learning how to speak English as a second language in the wonderful program here at SLCC.

Right to left: Jennifer's son, scanning the pages of a textbook; Jennifer, smiling and looking at her laptop; Jennifer's cousin, reading a book.
Right to left: Jennifer's son, scanning the pages of a textbook; Jennifer, smiling and looking at her laptop; Jennifer's cousin, reading a book.

Academic goals:
I want to earn a doctorate or master’s in social work; my passion is in the specialty of social projects and investigations.

Dream job:
A social worker, where I can be part of changes in people's lives and in the community.

Plan B:
Generally, I have a plan B when I cannot control all the results; I don’t have a plan B when it comes to my studies because the results are totally dependent on me.

Why Higher Education?
I believe that higher education is an investment that produces great rewards and will open the doors to opportunities that otherwise would be closed to me.

Why SLCC?
It has always been my dream to come to the United States to study, and SLCC has the name of one of the most important and special cities for me because of the great sacrifice and love of the pioneers in their history. I love their saying, “It will all be worth it.”

What motivates you or inspires you in life?
What motivates me is the knowledge that my Father in Heaven loves me and has confidence in me. It motivates me to know that I have great potential and helps me focus on all I can become. I am always positive because I believe that everything in life has a purpose. I always try to live a life of purpose, waking up each day with goals and dreams to work on.

Important life or career lessons you have learned so far?
An important lesson that I have learned in life up to now is to look at every person like they are a child of God; this helps me to always have empathy for every living soul.

Left to right: Jennifer's cousin, Jennifer Alegría, and Jennifer's son.
Left to right: Jennifer's cousin, Jennifer Alegría, and Jennifer's son.

Family:
I am married to a wonderful American man, and we have seven children and two grandchildren. I love to spend time with them.

Hobbies:
I love to read, learn and teach. I also love to spend quality time with my family, ice skating, creating projects with my hands and making decorations using recyclable materials. I love to dance and travel.

Awards/accomplishments:

  • Certificate as an assistant in the investigation of multicentric normative data in the neuropsychological study of children ages 7 to 17 from the University of Chile
  • Certificate in Principles of Self-Sufficiency from LDS Business College
  • Certificate in Mental Health from First Aid USA
  • Recognition for the arduous and enthusiastic work of indexation from the Stake of Tupahue of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
  • Certificate of Participation in the workshop on sensitization surrounding the question of gender

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SLCC's Undergraduate Annual Research Conference Registration Deadline

Salt Lake Community College’s annual Undergraduate Projects, Performances, Presentations, and Research Conference (UP3RC) is set to take place on April 2, at the Taylorsville Redwood Campus, offering students a chance to showcase their academic achievements, fostering a culture of intellectual exchange.  The UP3RC is an annual event designed to celebrate and highlight the academic accomplishments of undergraduate students. It provides a supportive environment for students to share their work, hone their presentations skills, receive constructive feedback, and engage in meaningful discussions with their peers and faculty. All SLCC departments and programs, including faculty and staff, are encouraged to support and visit the day of the event. Students with their poster from last year's UPRC event “The goal of this event is to make sure every school and student is given the opportunity to participate,” says Dr. Kamal Bewar, interim director of the STEM Learning Center, who is chairin

You’re Invited to A Party! Open House Kicks off New Herriman Campus

  Complimentary food truck fare, live music, and family activities spotlight new campus.   There’s something for everyone at the upcoming Herriman Campus Community Open House on Friday, August 4 (3:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.). See schedule below.   The public is invited to celebrate the opening of this new campus with festivities that include free local food truck fare, live music, and a Mocktail Mixer, where you can mingle with others, including Salt Lake Community College (SLCC) and University of Utah (U of U) faculty.   Families with kids can engage in face painting and a craft station, see the Super Mario Brothers movie, and high-five mascots Brutus, Swoop and Yeti.   This is an opportunity to have some summer fun for all ages and to check out the Juniper building on the new 88-acre SLCC Herriman campus.    At the open house, prospective students and their families can meet SLCC and U of U faculty and staff, take a tour the building, or even check out the Application & Transfer Lab a

SLCC Business School is Utah’s First to be Named Exclusively After a Woman

Salt Lake Community College (SLCC) proudly announces a partnership with the Larry H. & Gail Miller Family Foundation to modernize its Business Building and transform its School of Business. The improvements are made possible through a generous $10 million gift from the Miller Family Foundation and Gail Miller, the largest-ever single cash donation received by the college.  SLCC is renaming its Business Building the Larry H. & Gail Miller Family Business Building in honor of the Miller family’s legacy and contributions to the community. The business school will be named the Gail Miller School of Business in recognition of the strong business acumen Gail Miller displays as a community leader and as the owner and immediate past chair of the Larry H. Miller Company. This name change will make SLCC home to the only business school in Utah and one of only a few in the country to be named exclusively after a woman.  “We are deeply humbled by the generosity of Gail and the Miller fam