Skip to main content

Meet AISL Club President Eric Watchman

 

Eric Watchman

As part of Native American Heritage Month, This Meet Our Students blog will feature the president of SLCC’s American Indian Student Leadership Club, AISL, Eric Watchman.

 

Name: Eric Watchman.

 

Age: 27

 

The current city of residence: East Mill Creek, Utah

 

Hometown: Holladay, Utah

 

Major: Pre-med

 

Academic goals: My big goal is to become a doctor. I will most likely go to the U.

 

Dream job: I want to be a pediatrician with cardiology or just a general pediatrician. 

 

Plan B: Nurse

 

Why higher education: In the long run, it's well worth it. I have experience working in construction, but there are few job opportunities where I was living in the four corners area. So, I had to travel for work. I spent some time in Iowa, Wisconsin, and Las Vegas. It wasn't fun being by myself and away from my family. A lot of it, too, is influenced by my wife. She's the one that wanted to go back to school first, and then I started to have thoughts of going back to school too. That gave me a big push.

 

Why SLCC: Honestly, it's cheaper. Also, I graduated high school in 2013, and so much stuff had left my mind. I felt like SLCC would be a good place to get back to learning.

 

What motivates you or inspires you at school or life: Pushing my wife to finish pushes me too. I want to give my kids a comfortable life and be an example to them. I want to show them that you can take a huge break and it'll never be too late to return to school.

 

Meaningful life or career lessons you have learned so far: Never stop doubting yourself. It'll help you gain confidence to do the things you think are impossible. I have experience with that. Being in the construction field, I started as a laborer, doing ground stuff, picking up shovels, and handing tools to the guys with experience. And I ended up being a team lead. Before I left the construction field, I was training to become a superintendent. I never thought I'd be in that position. And going back to school, I never thought that would happen, but it did. Being in school, I've already faced challenges. I failed a class, but it's a learning step for me. I’m retaking the course and feel like I'm doing much better than I did before. Keep trying and never give up.

 

Family: I have two daughters and one on the way.

 

Hobbies: I like to dance at powwows. The powwows go on every weekend throughout the year. My wife and I try to attend as much as possible, but it gets expensive. That's a big hobby I have had since I was seven or eight. I also do the beadwork, feathers, and leatherwork on my regalia. I also like to snowboard and go roller skating.


Eric Watchman dances at SLCC Veterans Day ceremony


 Awards/accomplishments: President of the American Indian Student Leadership Club at SLCC for 2022-2023


Student Club Spotlight—American Indian Student Leadership Club: When I first came to SLCC in 2006, they used to have annual powwows. But when I came back here last year, I found that they had died off, and it didn't seem like AISL was alive at the time. I wanted to get involved, so I started searching for other native students and an advisor. 

 

There were only maybe seven of us, to begin with, and I became vice president, and we started doing things. Together, we made the Spring Powwow happen and worked on Native American Heritage Month events. I feel like we’ve done a whole lot to impact the indigenous community. Now indigenous students see us, and they know they’re not the only ones here. 

 

We wanted to give them a sense of belonging. That was the vision we had. Many native students come to college never having left the reservation. City life is very different. We do everything we can to bring the reservation into the city with games that different tribes play, dancing, and drum beating. It's a work in progress, but we are getting feedback that students know we're here.

 

We usually meet on Fridays from noon to two. It's a place where students can interact with one another and it's not only for native students; we invite nonindigenous people, too. We want to educate people who maybe think of indigenous people as a cliché group in a John Wayne movie. We want to tell them that's not a hundred percent accurate. We have weekly newsletters. And we send out announcements each week of our activities and where we will meet. Students who want to get those announcements should email Joseph Du Shane Navanick, the club advisor.


Eric Watchman promotes AISL at SLCC Mega Fair


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SLCC's Undergraduate Annual Research Conference Registration Deadline

Salt Lake Community College’s annual Undergraduate Projects, Performances, Presentations, and Research Conference (UP3RC) is set to take place on April 2, at the Taylorsville Redwood Campus, offering students a chance to showcase their academic achievements, fostering a culture of intellectual exchange.  The UP3RC is an annual event designed to celebrate and highlight the academic accomplishments of undergraduate students. It provides a supportive environment for students to share their work, hone their presentations skills, receive constructive feedback, and engage in meaningful discussions with their peers and faculty. All SLCC departments and programs, including faculty and staff, are encouraged to support and visit the day of the event. Students with their poster from last year's UPRC event “The goal of this event is to make sure every school and student is given the opportunity to participate,” says Dr. Kamal Bewar, interim director of the STEM Learning Center, who is chairin

You’re Invited to A Party! Open House Kicks off New Herriman Campus

  Complimentary food truck fare, live music, and family activities spotlight new campus.   There’s something for everyone at the upcoming Herriman Campus Community Open House on Friday, August 4 (3:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.). See schedule below.   The public is invited to celebrate the opening of this new campus with festivities that include free local food truck fare, live music, and a Mocktail Mixer, where you can mingle with others, including Salt Lake Community College (SLCC) and University of Utah (U of U) faculty.   Families with kids can engage in face painting and a craft station, see the Super Mario Brothers movie, and high-five mascots Brutus, Swoop and Yeti.   This is an opportunity to have some summer fun for all ages and to check out the Juniper building on the new 88-acre SLCC Herriman campus.    At the open house, prospective students and their families can meet SLCC and U of U faculty and staff, take a tour the building, or even check out the Application & Transfer Lab a

SLCC Business School is Utah’s First to be Named Exclusively After a Woman

Salt Lake Community College (SLCC) proudly announces a partnership with the Larry H. & Gail Miller Family Foundation to modernize its Business Building and transform its School of Business. The improvements are made possible through a generous $10 million gift from the Miller Family Foundation and Gail Miller, the largest-ever single cash donation received by the college.  SLCC is renaming its Business Building the Larry H. & Gail Miller Family Business Building in honor of the Miller family’s legacy and contributions to the community. The business school will be named the Gail Miller School of Business in recognition of the strong business acumen Gail Miller displays as a community leader and as the owner and immediate past chair of the Larry H. Miller Company. This name change will make SLCC home to the only business school in Utah and one of only a few in the country to be named exclusively after a woman.  “We are deeply humbled by the generosity of Gail and the Miller fam