Since the start of school, there are have been some questions regarding face covering exemptions. The Office of the Dean of Students has provided more information regarding face covering usage:
The health and safety of our SLCC students is a top priority during the COVID-19 pandemic. Face coverings are proven to provide a guard against spreading potentially infected droplets to other individuals and discourage us from touching our faces and possibly infecting ourselves with unclean hands. In addition to state and local executive orders requiring face coverings in public buildings/spaces, SLCC has enacted its own Emergency COVID-19 Face Covering Policy. Any student seeking to not wear an approved face covering based on a medical condition and/or disability shall:
- Contact the Disability Resource Center (DRC) at 801-957-4659 for an appointment with a DRC Advisor. *An individualized assessment, including medical documentation, will be required prior to making a decision about the reasonableness of any request to not wear a face covering. During this assessment period, students are required to wear a face covering if attending in-person classes or make arrangements to participate via remote/online learning.
- If a face covering exemption is approved as an accommodation, a letter will be created and sent via email to the student and the faculty member. Students are cautioned to keep a copy of this letter with them while on campus, as it verifies that the student is unable to wear a face covering and is exempt from the SLCC policy.
- If a face covering exemption is not approved, students will be held to the same expectation as all other SLCC students and be required to wear a face covering in all SLCC classrooms.
- Students will be offered reasonable alternatives to a traditional cloth mask, such as a clear plastic face shield or bandana.
- Students should move to a remote learning or online course format if unable or unwilling to wear a face covering.
Students not wearing a face covering when required will be referred to the Dean of Students office.