Skip to main content

Meet Our Faculty: Claire Peterson

Claire Peterson


Associate Professor

School of Humanities & Social Science 

Department of Humanities and Language Arts


What she teaches:

HUMA 1100 Intro to Humanities, HUMA 1010 Essentials of the Humanities, INTL 2040 The Immigrant Experience Through Lit & Film


Number of years teaching at SLCC:

12


Undergraduate:

University of Ulster at Jordanstown, N. Ireland


Master’s:

MA Irish Studies: Queen’s University Belfast, MSC International Affairs & Global Enterprise: University of Utah


Doctorate:

Lang & Lit University of Ulster



Why working at SLCC matters:

I love the diversity of the student body at SLCC. As an immigrant and a first-generation student myself, I appreciate the challenges that attending college can present. I love to see my students succeed and hear about their life experiences and how they relate to course material. 


Greatest professional challenge:

I want to be sure that my curriculum is accessible to all students and that it contains relatable content. I recently finished a new humanities Open Resource textbook which is free for all students.  I want to be mindful of the different ways in which students learn and most importantly ensure students who have felt marginalization have a voice in my classroom. I want my classroom to be a brave space, where everyone can exchange perspectives and ideas. This requires a lot of thought and personal reflection in terms of the sources we traditionally use to learn and understand history and society. I want to ensure no voices are left out and all my students feel heard, seen and represented. 


Greatest professional accomplishment:

My greatest professional accomplishment aligns with my greatest personal accomplishment; that is moving to a new country and creating a new life while trying to understand and navigate new systems, cultural norms and making new connections. I also recently returned to grad school and although it took me longer than expected to complete, I was quite proud I was able to pull it off!


Advice for students or others:

Be committed to being a lifelong learner. Learn from others. Be involved, ask questions, read books and be curious about people and things and places. And travel when and however you can. For my students specifically I would like to remind them that school does in fact end! Sometimes when you are in the thick of classes, it can feel like school will never end, but it will, and your life will be forever enriched and advanced because you completed your degree.



Future plans:

I look forward to when we can travel freely again as I am long overdue a trip to my home country! I want to continue writing and expanding our humanities textbook and am excited to be a part of the group developing the Social Justice AS at SLCC. 


Family:

I am a single mom to three great mostly grown up kids, two of which are SLCC students! I inherited a cat from my daughter who is okay most of the time. 


Hobbies:

I love to travel, sometimes solo and sometimes with family and friends. I love to be outdoors. I try to run most mornings, not competitively, but more in a Forrest Gump kind of way. I taught myself to ski three years ago and now understand why people in Utah look forward to winter. I love the ocean, which clearly presents a challenge living here in Utah; though I do try to get out on the lakes as much as possible on my paddle board in summer and early fall.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SLCC Automotive Repairs

Click to enlarge. Attention: SLCC Students, staff and faculty! Many SLCC automotive programs need vehicles to work on in these areas: 30 point inspections Oil changes Tire rotation Engine repair Brake systems repair Automatic and transmission repairs Air conditioning repair Electrical troubleshooting & repair Suspension & steering system repair Auto-body repair and painting (on a very limited basis) Please be advised that any repairs are done at the discretion of the instructors due to the subject areas they are teaching.  Because we are using your vehicles for training purposes, we offer members of the College discounts on parts and labor. Parts are at our cost plus 15% and the service fee is $20 per hour based on industry time standards (if the industry assigns an hour for a repair, that's all you're charged for, regardless of how much time it takes the student). We can also offer these services to non-college personnel on a limited basis with...

Bruin Bash 2014

Free! Friday, May 2 5:00 p.m. Salt Lake Community College Student Center (4600 South Redwood Road) Featuring: Children’s Carnival Circus Act Dance Fireworks Caricature Artist Popcorn Photo Booth Henna Tattoos Comedian Casino Games Oxygen Bar Airbrush Tattoos Mocktails Face Painter Magician Cotton Candy Balloon Artists Brought to you by SLCC Student Association www.slcc.edu/sll Individuals who require accommodations for this event should contact Joan Christiansen a, STC 124 or (801) 957-4439

Employee Recognition Celebration 2014

Congratulations to all of our employees recognized at the Employee Recognition Event on Wednesday, April 30. Retirees Vince Badger Lowell Baggaley Lynda Baumgart Debra Bertoch Grace Birch Norma Carr Susan Curtis Mary Jayne Davis Rodney Derrick Steffeny Fazzio Richard Hemingway Marianna Hopkins Marilyn Little Jacquelyn Mathews Steve Million Valorie Mills Doug Richards Carol Sandoval Debbie Smith Donna Thompson D. Cyril Watt Teaching Excellence Awards Bill Tovar School of Applied Technology Professional Truck Driving Melissa Tillack School of Science, Math & Engineering Biology Department Emily Dibble School of Humanities & Social Sciences Humanities Department Outstanding Staff Nominees  (Winners in Bold) Theresa Adair Chase Adams Jonathan Anderson Burt Barnard Shelly Beverley Lenora Billie Judith Black Ben Booth Shannon Brereton Gay Bryant Marianne Buie Gus Calder Ch...