Skip to main content

Commencement 2022: Provost's Graduates of Excellence

Provost’s Graduates of Excellence is a prestigious distinction that recognizes hard work, commitment and selflessness. One student is selected from each school and General Studies. Many students apply to receive this honor. These are students with excellent GPAs who typically have received scholarships and awards for their academic achievements. They have demonstrated leadership skills and a dedication to serving others, in addition to other notable achievements related to the creative arts, athletic excellence or involvement in SLCC beyond the classroom.

Read more about the remaining four Graduates of Excellence Chamil Soufianou, Tonya Timothy, Leonardo Garcia and Brenda Johnson in "Commencement 2022: Provost's Graduates of Excellence."

Melissa Smith.

Melissa Smith

School of Health Sciences
Major: Nursing
GPA: 3.93
Influential faculty: Geoff Osmond and Brian Hoskins

For my first degree, I graduated just to finish and did not consider what my education could do for me. After being accepted into the nursing program, I was able to find my niche. It was not easy, but I proved my abilities to myself. I was not sure what I would experience in the program, and while it has been tough, I was able to find myself. I have been able to build confidence and make friends along the way. Starting the nursing program online during COVID-19 was a different way of learning, but it was successful for me. I am grateful that I have been able to come so far for myself and my family during the last two years.”

Amora Floyd.

Amora Floyd

School of Humanities & Social Sciences
Major: Psychology
GPA: 4.0
Influential faculty: Shannon Flynt and Marissa Shaver

“As a 50-year-old single mother of four children, starting college from square one was a terrifying prospect. However, I quickly found that Salt Lake Community College had a solid support system. There was never an issue without an academic, technical, clerical, health or emotional support system to assist me. I am grateful that SLCC has such an amazing online system. Without it, returning to school would have been nearly impossible and less time-efficient, and I would not have been able to complete my degree within two years. I also benefitted from interacting and learning from my classmates, who expanded my worldview in innumerable ways. As I prepare to graduate, my time at SLCC was pivotal in preparing me to pursue higher education. I will leave the college feeling confident in my ability as a student to learn and successfully achieve my goals.”

Kaden Wall.

Kaden Wall

School of Science, Mathematics & Engineering
Major: Biology
GPA: 3.51
Influential faculty: Ron Valcarce

"At the beginning of my college career, I encountered a major life event that shaped me into the person I am today. That event was my coming out to my family and friends as gay. My life had been completely altered, resulting in my failure of the entirety of my first college semester. Following this semester, I felt defeated. I didn't feel that I could ever redeem myself from the mistakes I had made while trying to maneuver my newly structured life. However, my progress in subsequent semesters surely outshined the failures I originally endured. I like to look at my first semester of college as a unique learning opportunity. As an LGBTQ student in the sciences, I am a part of a highly underrepresented group of students, and I take pride in demonstrating the potential to achieve greatness, despite downfalls.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SLCC Automotive Repairs

Click to enlarge. Attention: SLCC Students, staff and faculty! Many SLCC automotive programs need vehicles to work on in these areas: 30 point inspections Oil changes Tire rotation Engine repair Brake systems repair Automatic and transmission repairs Air conditioning repair Electrical troubleshooting & repair Suspension & steering system repair Auto-body repair and painting (on a very limited basis) Please be advised that any repairs are done at the discretion of the instructors due to the subject areas they are teaching.  Because we are using your vehicles for training purposes, we offer members of the College discounts on parts and labor. Parts are at our cost plus 15% and the service fee is $20 per hour based on industry time standards (if the industry assigns an hour for a repair, that's all you're charged for, regardless of how much time it takes the student). We can also offer these services to non-college personnel on a limited basis with...

Bruin Bash 2014

Free! Friday, May 2 5:00 p.m. Salt Lake Community College Student Center (4600 South Redwood Road) Featuring: Children’s Carnival Circus Act Dance Fireworks Caricature Artist Popcorn Photo Booth Henna Tattoos Comedian Casino Games Oxygen Bar Airbrush Tattoos Mocktails Face Painter Magician Cotton Candy Balloon Artists Brought to you by SLCC Student Association www.slcc.edu/sll Individuals who require accommodations for this event should contact Joan Christiansen a, STC 124 or (801) 957-4439

Employee Recognition Celebration 2014

Congratulations to all of our employees recognized at the Employee Recognition Event on Wednesday, April 30. Retirees Vince Badger Lowell Baggaley Lynda Baumgart Debra Bertoch Grace Birch Norma Carr Susan Curtis Mary Jayne Davis Rodney Derrick Steffeny Fazzio Richard Hemingway Marianna Hopkins Marilyn Little Jacquelyn Mathews Steve Million Valorie Mills Doug Richards Carol Sandoval Debbie Smith Donna Thompson D. Cyril Watt Teaching Excellence Awards Bill Tovar School of Applied Technology Professional Truck Driving Melissa Tillack School of Science, Math & Engineering Biology Department Emily Dibble School of Humanities & Social Sciences Humanities Department Outstanding Staff Nominees  (Winners in Bold) Theresa Adair Chase Adams Jonathan Anderson Burt Barnard Shelly Beverley Lenora Billie Judith Black Ben Booth Shannon Brereton Gay Bryant Marianne Buie Gus Calder Ch...