Skip to main content

Commencement 2022: Provost's Graduates of Excellence

Provost’s Graduates of Excellence is a prestigious distinction that recognizes hard work, commitment and selflessness. One student is selected from each school and General Studies. Many students apply to receive this honor. These are students with excellent GPAs who typically have received scholarships and awards for their academic achievements. They have demonstrated leadership skills and a dedication to serving others, in addition to other notable achievements related to the creative arts, athletic excellence or involvement in SLCC beyond the classroom.

Read more about the remaining three Graduates of Excellence Melissa Smith, Amora Floyd and Kaden Wall in "Commencement 2022: Provost's Graduates of Excellence."

Chamil Soufianou.

Chamil Soufianou

General Studies
GPA: 3.41
Influential faculty: Jason Roberts

“I found my college experience to be more enjoyable when I stepped outside of my comfort zone. I did that by talking and meeting different people. I was fortunate to meet a lot of amazing people at Salt Lake Community College who opened so many doors for me. They all helped play a role in my success and goal of completing my associate’s degree. During my time at SLCC, I achieved many goals. Looking back and seeing where I'm at now, it is evident that I improved in many areas. My people skills, communication and habits improved, and I apply them in everything I do. Experiences like this are something that many people, including myself, appreciate about college.”

Tonya Timothy.

Tonya Timothy

School of Applied Technologies & Technical Specialties
Major: Construction Management
GPA: 3.95
Influential faculty: David James and Boyd Johnson

“Most people in my position have a four‐year degree, but that is not the reason I returned to school. I am not a quitter, and I have always regretted not finishing. Although schooling enhanced my knowledge and ability to be a better employee, I came back to fulfill my personal goal set over 20 years ago. It took a lot of courage for me to jump back in after all this time, and I am very proud that I did it while balancing a family, a full-time job and living through a pandemic. I am very proud I was brave enough to face my insecurities and return to school. I am a leader and have felt it a privilege to meet all my classmates, be a mentor and share my experiences.”

Leonardo Garcia.

Leonardo Garcia

School of Arts, Communication & Media
Major: Architecture
GPA: 3.87
Influential faculty: Kevin King and Naima Nawabi

“Kevin King and Naima Nawabi greatly influenced what I know so far about architecture. They helped me with ideas and concepts for class projects, concept development, design review and brainstorming, which I took seriously. Professor King was the person who influenced most of what I developed in architecture. I even made progress in my career by getting a part-time job at an architectural firm where I will be able to cultivate and the practice skills I learned at SLCC. My plans after graduation are to continue my education, work as a drafter assistant and get my license to become an architect.”

Brenda Johnson.

Brenda Johnson

School of Business
Major: Paralegal Studies
GPA: 3.91
Influential faculty: Monte Sleight

“My education at Salt Lake Community College has been a positive experience for me. For as long as I can remember, I have privately wanted to be a paralegal. I always thought I wanted to work for someone who helped people who could not afford an attorney. Then I learned of legal aid. I thought, ‘That is what I want to do.’ When I graduated, I was lucky enough to get an interview for a job in legal aid, and I got the position. I am thoroughly content with my job. I am always at ease at work because my education at Salt Lake Community College prepared me for anything. I still have a lot to learn and always will, but it doesn’t feel like work when you enjoy it. SLCC made that possible for me.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SLCC Automotive Repairs

Click to enlarge. Attention: SLCC Students, staff and faculty! Many SLCC automotive programs need vehicles to work on in these areas: 30 point inspections Oil changes Tire rotation Engine repair Brake systems repair Automatic and transmission repairs Air conditioning repair Electrical troubleshooting & repair Suspension & steering system repair Auto-body repair and painting (on a very limited basis) Please be advised that any repairs are done at the discretion of the instructors due to the subject areas they are teaching.  Because we are using your vehicles for training purposes, we offer members of the College discounts on parts and labor. Parts are at our cost plus 15% and the service fee is $20 per hour based on industry time standards (if the industry assigns an hour for a repair, that's all you're charged for, regardless of how much time it takes the student). We can also offer these services to non-college personnel on a limited basis with...

Bruin Bash 2014

Free! Friday, May 2 5:00 p.m. Salt Lake Community College Student Center (4600 South Redwood Road) Featuring: Children’s Carnival Circus Act Dance Fireworks Caricature Artist Popcorn Photo Booth Henna Tattoos Comedian Casino Games Oxygen Bar Airbrush Tattoos Mocktails Face Painter Magician Cotton Candy Balloon Artists Brought to you by SLCC Student Association www.slcc.edu/sll Individuals who require accommodations for this event should contact Joan Christiansen a, STC 124 or (801) 957-4439

Employee Recognition Celebration 2014

Congratulations to all of our employees recognized at the Employee Recognition Event on Wednesday, April 30. Retirees Vince Badger Lowell Baggaley Lynda Baumgart Debra Bertoch Grace Birch Norma Carr Susan Curtis Mary Jayne Davis Rodney Derrick Steffeny Fazzio Richard Hemingway Marianna Hopkins Marilyn Little Jacquelyn Mathews Steve Million Valorie Mills Doug Richards Carol Sandoval Debbie Smith Donna Thompson D. Cyril Watt Teaching Excellence Awards Bill Tovar School of Applied Technology Professional Truck Driving Melissa Tillack School of Science, Math & Engineering Biology Department Emily Dibble School of Humanities & Social Sciences Humanities Department Outstanding Staff Nominees  (Winners in Bold) Theresa Adair Chase Adams Jonathan Anderson Burt Barnard Shelly Beverley Lenora Billie Judith Black Ben Booth Shannon Brereton Gay Bryant Marianne Buie Gus Calder Ch...