Skip to main content

2023: SLCC Provost's Graduates of Excellence

Provost Graduates of Excellence is a prestigious distinction that recognizes hard work, commitment and selflessness. One student is selected from each school and General Studies. Many students apply to receive this honor. These students have excellent GPAs and typically receive scholarships and awards for their academic achievements. They have demonstrated leadership skills and a dedication to serving others, in addition to other notable achievements related to the creative arts, athletic excellence or involvement in SLCC beyond the classroom.

Amanda Lee
Amanda Lee


School of Science, Mathematics and Engineering

Geology

Neither of my parents went to college. I never graduated from high school, so it never crossed my mind that I could go to college. After decades of battling poor decisions and toxic cycles, I sought help. I broke the cycles, obtained my GED and registered for SLCC. My journey has taught me to let go of what I had left behind to move forward. This degree means so much more to me than just passing my classes. It means I will have a brighter tomorrow and safety in my future. I am thankful for the darkness of my past because without it, I would have never been able to feel the glory, love and gratitude of the light I live in today.


Influential Faculty: Jodie Jones, Ann Canavan and Charlotte Howe


Sierra Schmidt
Sierra Schmidt


School of Arts, Communication and Media


Music

My success at SLCC has opened the world to me more than I ever expected. The individual attention I received for my special need (autism) and the helpful accommodations I was able to access through the Disability Resource Center helped me not only achieve academically, but I was able to grow socially and professionally through SLCC student organizations. SLCC is the best thing that has ever happened to me. Here, I found several student clubs with like-minded colleagues and similar interests. I was introduced to different engineering clubs whose members helped me develop my two musical inventions, which have since been accepted for presentation and publication at two conferences. I am now more excited about my future than I ever have been, and it is all thanks to SLCC’s wonderful people.


Influential Faculty: Stephanie Smith


Jennifer Croft
Jennifer Croft


School of Health Sciences

Radiologic Technology

As a first-generation college student, I needed confidence to succeed. I developed my self-assurance as I started taking classes, learned about myself and evolved in academics. I now realize I have accomplished more than I could have ever dreamed, which is something for which I am grateful. I deeply value the opportunities my education has given me. While here, I have also received numerous generous scholarships that have allowed me to continue my educational journey. I now view success not as a destination but as the path I take to better myself and the world around me.

Shandra Payne
Shandra Payne


General Studies

General Studies, Health/Kinesiology

I started my SLCC career in 2002 and returned in Fall 2019. It was a challenging adjustment as it had been a long time since I had been in school. I didn’t know what to do with my education, but I knew I had to start somewhere. I discovered a love for biology and experienced a renewed curiosity and interest in school during my classes. Twenty-one years ago, I started my college career at SLCC, and I will finally graduate this spring. It has not been an easy road, nor has my educational career been traditional, but I have learned to never give up on myself, and I can continue developing and growing even when things are difficult.

Influential Faculty: Cory Riding and Dr. Emmanuel Santa-Martinez




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SLCC's Undergraduate Annual Research Conference Registration Deadline

Salt Lake Community College’s annual Undergraduate Projects, Performances, Presentations, and Research Conference (UP3RC) is set to take place on April 2, at the Taylorsville Redwood Campus, offering students a chance to showcase their academic achievements, fostering a culture of intellectual exchange.  The UP3RC is an annual event designed to celebrate and highlight the academic accomplishments of undergraduate students. It provides a supportive environment for students to share their work, hone their presentations skills, receive constructive feedback, and engage in meaningful discussions with their peers and faculty. All SLCC departments and programs, including faculty and staff, are encouraged to support and visit the day of the event. Students with their poster from last year's UPRC event “The goal of this event is to make sure every school and student is given the opportunity to participate,” says Dr. Kamal Bewar, interim director of the STEM Learning Center, who is chairin

You’re Invited to A Party! Open House Kicks off New Herriman Campus

  Complimentary food truck fare, live music, and family activities spotlight new campus.   There’s something for everyone at the upcoming Herriman Campus Community Open House on Friday, August 4 (3:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.). See schedule below.   The public is invited to celebrate the opening of this new campus with festivities that include free local food truck fare, live music, and a Mocktail Mixer, where you can mingle with others, including Salt Lake Community College (SLCC) and University of Utah (U of U) faculty.   Families with kids can engage in face painting and a craft station, see the Super Mario Brothers movie, and high-five mascots Brutus, Swoop and Yeti.   This is an opportunity to have some summer fun for all ages and to check out the Juniper building on the new 88-acre SLCC Herriman campus.    At the open house, prospective students and their families can meet SLCC and U of U faculty and staff, take a tour the building, or even check out the Application & Transfer Lab a

SLCC Business School is Utah’s First to be Named Exclusively After a Woman

Salt Lake Community College (SLCC) proudly announces a partnership with the Larry H. & Gail Miller Family Foundation to modernize its Business Building and transform its School of Business. The improvements are made possible through a generous $10 million gift from the Miller Family Foundation and Gail Miller, the largest-ever single cash donation received by the college.  SLCC is renaming its Business Building the Larry H. & Gail Miller Family Business Building in honor of the Miller family’s legacy and contributions to the community. The business school will be named the Gail Miller School of Business in recognition of the strong business acumen Gail Miller displays as a community leader and as the owner and immediate past chair of the Larry H. Miller Company. This name change will make SLCC home to the only business school in Utah and one of only a few in the country to be named exclusively after a woman.  “We are deeply humbled by the generosity of Gail and the Miller fam