Skip to main content

College Community, 2020 Commencement Important to New SLCCSA President

 

You know that part in job interviews where candidates say, “I’m a people person” to the interviewer when asked what strengths they bring to the job? Well, that’s actually Emily Hernandez Alzamora – a real people person.

 

It’s why she ran in and won the Salt Lake Community College Student Association race for president. It’s why she’s still excited about SLCC’s June 26 commencement ceremony, even though it’s online (and she still has a year left at the college). And it’s also why the 19-year-old has had a little tougher time with quarantine and social distancing during the COVID-19 pandemic.

 

Emily’s parents and little sister have been “calm as cucumbers” while staying at home together throughout the spring in Murray. “Then you have me – I bother everyone, and I try to hug my sister as much possible. I love her so much,” she says. “I try to be as loud as possible. The list goes on.” When she studies, she “travels” to different places throughout the house and yard. “I love being outdoors and seeing people. This way, I can focus on studying but I can also see couples going for walks, little kids riding on their bikes with their parents or siblings or pet owners walking their dogs. It’s all about the little things that make me happy.”

 


After earning her associate’s degree in business next spring, Emily plans to attend the University of Utah’s David Eccles School of Business and then to continue her education in law school. Her dream job is to be an attorney with a business law firm, working on human resources legal matters. Emily is plowing through pandemic challenges toward her goal. “Don’t let a situation set you back and prevent you from achieving your dreams, whatever they may be,” she says. “I personally believe that education is the key to personal growth. I have learned from my parents, teachers, mentors, advisors, even my assignments, that if I want to better my life, I need an education. I could lose my home, job, material belongings, but no one can take away my education, and that is more valuable to me than anything.”

 

Emily believes the pandemic has strengthened the SLCC community, with students tutoring, helping and checking in on one another. “I am here for everyone,” she says. “I want to help and serve the students and let them know I am here for them. I want them to feel that they can always reach out to me for any of their needs, whether it’s education, personal life or just someone to talk to.”

 

To all of the SLCC grads who missed out on a live commencement ceremony this year, Emily wants to remind them they are all invited back to walk with the Class of 2021 and that they should participate in the June 26 online ceremony next month. “Being able to be a part of your commencement is an experience that should not be denied,” she says. “It will be important and memorable because of how long and hard you worked to earn your degree. It is a special day, and even though we will not be celebrating together, we want to recognize everyone and celebrate wherever we are.”

 

Graduates can find more information and RSVP for SLCC’s virtual commencement ceremony by clicking here – the deadline to RSVP is June 1.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SLCC Automotive Repairs

Click to enlarge. Attention: SLCC Students, staff and faculty! Many SLCC automotive programs need vehicles to work on in these areas: 30 point inspections Oil changes Tire rotation Engine repair Brake systems repair Automatic and transmission repairs Air conditioning repair Electrical troubleshooting & repair Suspension & steering system repair Auto-body repair and painting (on a very limited basis) Please be advised that any repairs are done at the discretion of the instructors due to the subject areas they are teaching.  Because we are using your vehicles for training purposes, we offer members of the College discounts on parts and labor. Parts are at our cost plus 15% and the service fee is $20 per hour based on industry time standards (if the industry assigns an hour for a repair, that's all you're charged for, regardless of how much time it takes the student). We can also offer these services to non-college personnel on a limited basis with...

Bruin Bash 2014

Free! Friday, May 2 5:00 p.m. Salt Lake Community College Student Center (4600 South Redwood Road) Featuring: Children’s Carnival Circus Act Dance Fireworks Caricature Artist Popcorn Photo Booth Henna Tattoos Comedian Casino Games Oxygen Bar Airbrush Tattoos Mocktails Face Painter Magician Cotton Candy Balloon Artists Brought to you by SLCC Student Association www.slcc.edu/sll Individuals who require accommodations for this event should contact Joan Christiansen a, STC 124 or (801) 957-4439

Employee Recognition Celebration 2014

Congratulations to all of our employees recognized at the Employee Recognition Event on Wednesday, April 30. Retirees Vince Badger Lowell Baggaley Lynda Baumgart Debra Bertoch Grace Birch Norma Carr Susan Curtis Mary Jayne Davis Rodney Derrick Steffeny Fazzio Richard Hemingway Marianna Hopkins Marilyn Little Jacquelyn Mathews Steve Million Valorie Mills Doug Richards Carol Sandoval Debbie Smith Donna Thompson D. Cyril Watt Teaching Excellence Awards Bill Tovar School of Applied Technology Professional Truck Driving Melissa Tillack School of Science, Math & Engineering Biology Department Emily Dibble School of Humanities & Social Sciences Humanities Department Outstanding Staff Nominees  (Winners in Bold) Theresa Adair Chase Adams Jonathan Anderson Burt Barnard Shelly Beverley Lenora Billie Judith Black Ben Booth Shannon Brereton Gay Bryant Marianne Buie Gus Calder Ch...